Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Salad of the Week


Today's salad was inspired by my MOM - love you mom! She has hopped on the Salad a Week bandwagon and is also making a different salad each week. She is making different salads than me though, so now she sends me her recent recipe and then if it looks good I can try it out.
Today's salad has a base of mixed greens with layered slices of pear and strawberries. Add to this chunks of barbecued chicken and brie cheese (could use goat or blue?). Mom's recipe used carmelized pecans, but we didn't have any pecans, so I used some cinnamon almond slices that I had pre-bought at Farmboy. I used a maple mustard salad dressing and Jay used a raspberry vinagrette! We both loved the salad.
If you want to make Candied pecans, here are the directions. Great on any salad -
Candied pecans
1/3 cup pecans
3 tbsp icing sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
(these are basically pumpkin pie spice if you have that)
Rinse pecans with cold water, drain.
Combine sugar and spice and dip the pecans in this mixture to coat
Spread on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees or saute in pan if you can stir and watch them carefully! COOL

1 comment:

Corrinne said...

This looks great! I work with Alouette and our baby brie would be perfect for this salad. I also like the idea of goat cheese ;) Thanks for a great salad idea!