Friday, August 14, 2009

Are we watching them or are they watching us?

Day #6 - Chicago! Our day started with a ride on the subway. As exciting as it was for the kids, I am glad I don't have to take that everyday - another ride that made me motion sick. (I don't actually get sick, just feel queazy.)

Here we are waiting for the sea lion show to begin at the Lincoln Park Zoo. The zoo is open everyday and IT'S FREE! At this point the kids had already taken a miniature train ride and crushed some pennies for the new penny passport.
Now you will see the onslaught of pictures I took of all the animals. I won't put them all up, but figured you might as well get an idea of what was at the zoo and what the kids had a chance to see. Below is part of the sea lion show, not really a show, but they showed us how they feed them and check them everyday. The lions were fairly active this day and we saw them on the move and the male was roaring even. The gorillas were quite the sight to see and it left us all feeling... a little sad actually. They had such depth to their eyes and you couldn't help wondering what they were thinking. One was curled up in an almost fetal position in the corner, maybe just taking a break, but he was right by the window and just staring out into our eyes. The silverback sat with such authority, but also an empty stare. It made you wonder if they enjoyed the zoo at all, if they were sad and helpless or if that is just how they express themselves in nature as well. The jaguar paced back and forth with a fury, like he was trying to plan his escape and was waiting for the right moment to get out! Again, it gave you this feeling that the animals weren't too happy to be at the zoo.










After the zoo, we headed home again for a break and my sister and her family took the bus to the Field Museum - they were like the engergizer rabbit and could just keep going forever. Leslie and I made plans to meet back at 5:00 to go the Oprah store - it was our last night and this couldn't be missed! We took a taxi, on our own in the big city, even that felt exhilerating (strange, I know). I expected a huge building, big signs and loads of people, but it was the opposite. The cab actually passed the building and we didn't even realize it, the studio itself had little signage and was a plain, brick builiding - seriously, I didn't even take a picture of it! The store had only this one spot with a sign, really not at all fantastic, understated and simple. We entered the store thinking there might have even been a line up to get in, but the store was empty, we pretty much had it to ourselves. In saying this, I have to acknowledge we were smart and called ahead to find out their hours. On this night they extended their hours due to another store opening nearby. I don't think most people knew this and we weren't there when a taping was going on. You weren't allowed to take pictures inside, well except in one spot. The chair below used to be on the actual Oprah stage and yes the large green bag is all that I bought while I was there. I couldn't help but feel inspired: Angel network shirts, Girls School of Leadership sweaters, workout clothing (how can I not be inspired to work out wearing an Oprah shirt, like come on!) The link above has Oprah take you on an actual tour of the store and I had taken the virtual tour before I went, so I knew to save some money for the big shopping day. Leslie treated herself to a cashmere sweater for work, while I blew a wad on exercise clothes and shirts with inspirational sayings to wear to school. It really was so much fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my fave stops. It was a lot of fun, quality time, the only thing better would have been a taping of the show! It is worth a trip to her Store, it is beatiful, full of quality stuff at reasonable prices - never thought I'd have a cashmere sweater - here is hoping I don't wreck it in the laundry!