Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rainy days are keeping me busy!

Due to the on and off rainy weather, the crafty mom in me has had to come out! Thanks to my girlfriend, Pam we had homemade play-doh to entertain us this morning. Thanks to some of my students I had free money at Chapters, so one of the books we bought was a science experiment book. We are working our way through the book and I think are on experiment #4 now. One of which was making shadow puppets. If I use the flash all you see is the puppets, like in the bottom of the 3 pictures below, without the flash they are pretty blurry, but you get the idea! We used them in Devin's bedroom with his car flashlight, then we also made some huge ones on the ceiling - very fun! Plus of course, you had to make them first.




Yesterday we did finger print experiments. It says to use paint, but when you have as many stamp pads as I do, I just couldn't bring myself to do it! So we used ink pads... of course that stain, wouldn't be any fun otherwise. Notice Devin's stomach (glad I took off his shirt first, just knew that would happen) and yep for swimming lessons today the ink was still there, too funny, anyhow... We first made fingerprint people. Jasmine did so well copying from the book for her first 2 little men, then the 3rd one she did of her own creativity. (this was her 3rd attempt before she got it perfect, but I honestly couldn't tell what was wrong with the first two papers, guess she has high standards). I copied the examples from the book and had a great time - I love stuff like that! AND, I actually got Devin to draw a "D" for Devin on his paper - halleluia!



After this we tried to be detectives and dust for fingerprints, but we had little success. Sidewalk chalk just doesn't seem to cut it for dusting purposes. We made up litte crime sheets, but you can't see the fingerprints on the tape really at all. Devin's crime was eating the toothpaste and Jasmine's was hiding toys. Mine, which the kids decided, was yelling at the kids... I don't even do that, geesh ;)

1 comment:

Loukia said...

Looks like a lot of fun!